Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day Fun!

In my new Saranbang (evening) class, which is everyday from 6-8pm, we talked about St. Patrick's Day. I am really lucky because I have the advanced class this semester. It's much more fun because they understand so much more which allows us to do more activities.

After talking about the basics of the holiday, I taught them what a Limerick is. For those of you who don't know, it's an Irish poem that began in a pub in Limerick and are often crude and dirty. But they have a definite structure. It is made up of five lines. Line 1, 2, and 5 all rhyme with each other and contain 7 to 8 syllables. Lines 3 and 4 rhyme with each other and contain 5 to 6 syllables. It was hard to find examples for the kids that weren't dirty or the words were to hard to understand, so I had to write the examples. The first is mine, followed by several of my students. Most of them got the concept...and others...well, gave it their best shot! It is typed how they wrote them! Enjoy!

Mine:
There was a big dog named Jean.
His fur was the color of green.
He would run really slow,
and at night he would glow.
If you weren't really nice he'd be mean.

Jamy:
A girl named Jamy likes to play,
Thursday is her favorite day.
She likes the sea,
So she saw the sea,
And she had a great day
Sue:
When I was young I saw a bee,
The bee saw that I see.
I run away like a bee,
The bee follows me.
But I hide in the river, OOPS!

Michelle:
My friends like a very cute dog.
I like a very cute and pretty cat.
My fren like play piano.
I like too play piano.
My friends and me likes going on a picnic

Joyce:
There was a small cat named Berry.
Her favorite fruit is a cherry.
She wears a green hat,
She is white and black,
Her other friends name is Marry

Jason:
There was a big bear named Joon.
He was like the red balloon.
It was on his head,
But it was not red,
So he painted in the noon.

Amy:
The one girls loved a brown bear.
The bear is like seat on chair.
And likes to play with key.
And he likes to eat peas.
And brown bear likes to draw square.

Janis:
There was a one young girl name of Mery.
The girl name Mery want to fly.
She going to dream.
And a night was come.
Then Mery was fly in the sky.

Sally:
The young boy name was a Joy
He is very cute and kind boy.
Joy has a little bird.
Little bird know many word.
Little bird and Joy say bye!

1 comment:

  1. My favorite line was "But I hide in the river, OOPS!" I hate it when I make the mistake of hiding in rivers!

    ReplyDelete