Thursday, July 15, 2010

Teacher Rafting Trip

Had an interesting experience rafting with the teachers at my school last weekend. I'm going to take another stab at writing it out in a fun poem, enjoy!
Just last weekend July 9th and 10th,
The teachers decided on a ‘rafting’ trip.

Not sure what to expect but agreed and took part,
After all that occurred I can’t say it was smart.

I boarded the bus and was given a snack,
Octopus jerky I wanted to yak.

We pulled out of Ulsan on Friday at three,
The drive took four hours with no place to pee!

Although it was early and still the afternoon,
The male teachers used the bus as a moving saloon.

I was called from the back to join in the fun,
One Dixie cup of Soju and I was done.

I already get car sick and didn’t want a full bladder,
They ignored this idea because it didn’t matter.

Nathan and Dorian joined in and weren’t cautious,
The swaying and booze caused them to be nauseous.

Four hours later we arrived at our destination,
In the middle of nowhere was our current location.

Only corn stalks and mountains and our place for the night,
It looked new and clean with no reason for fright.

Boys in one room and girls in the next,
I have never stayed in such a complex.

Our room had two rooms that were bare with no beds,
We didn’t have blankets or pillows for our heads.

On the floor were dead spiders and a few other bugs,
This had to be a mistake can I at least have a rug?

After the shock I walked down the stairs,
The smell of meat on a grill was filling the air.

Pig, rice and green leafs is all that I took,
And an oyster type food that I got to cook.

The oyster was a first and I dove right in,
Only to find that it was chewy and thin.

I stuffed in rice and kimchi to try to get it down,
I had no luck and was starting to drown.

Dorian got me some water and after way too long,
I was able to swallow and rush dinner along.

Some drinking and chatter is what took place next,
Then a game of night volleyball kept the drunkards in check.

Tired and hungry I went to “bed,”
Dreaming of eating some butter and bread.

It was the worst night, I did not even sleep.
The women woke up early I wanted to weep.

A quarter ‘till six on a freakin’ Saturday,
The ladies were up and ready to play.

I was called downstairs to go for a hike,
A beautiful movie scene is what it looked like.

The river was peaceful and the mountains so pretty,
The morning fog rolling in, a nice change from the city.

More volleyball was played and then breakfast was served,
No eggs, just kimchi and rice is all I observed.

We boarded the bus around nine oclock,
We didn’t drive more than just a few blocks.

Donggang River is what we would float,
A big yellow raft we would use as our boat.

After strapping the life jackets and helmets on tight,
We hauled our two rafts and began the fight.

It started out fun at first then my arms starting hurting,
Being unaware of the safety tips became disconcerting.

The water speed picked up and then it turned white,
We began bouncing and paddling with all of our might.

“Hanna Duel Set Net,” our guide yelled from the back,
We kept going fast and into rocks we would smack!

I can’t tell you how often our raft would get stuck,
Wedged in between rocks it was always our luck.

At one point our guide fell out of the raft,
At first we all smiled and started to laugh.

We were flying down this river with no one to guide,
Dorian fell out too but pulled himself back inside.

We crashed in some rocks which allowed the guide to get in,
With sharp rocks and fast water, think what could have been?

His shin was gashed and the swelling began,
You could tell it really hurt, he was such a tough man.

Two hours in, we pulled the boat to the side,
We ate a quick snack before continuing the ride.

One hour left and my arms were so dead,
All I wanted was to sleep in a bed!

When we made it to the end I was so elated
You could tell our fun index had significantly faded.

The rafting was fun and entertaining at times,
Had this been in America, a waiver woulda' been signed.

We changed our wet clothes and boarded the bus,
We had a bibimbap lunch waiting for us.

We scarfed down our lunch and walked around,
A TV set and a cave is what we found.

The set looked real, and resembled a palace,
My co-teacher Sunny began getting a callus.

You see while we rafted she was pushed in,
Her right shoe fell off and we never saw it again.
As we walked back, found by one of the guys,
An abandoned pink crock and it was just her size!

The cave was dark, cold and very wet,
A nice little break from the sun and the sweat.
As we walked through the ceiling got lower,
Without being warned we were crouched and walked slower.

This lasted too long and our backs started aching,
I was ready to leave and was done picture taking.

Once again it was our bus we got on,
The ride home being quiet, I started to yawn.
Four hours later back in Ulsan at last,
Another dinner was offered, but I had to pass.

Exhausted and hungry I had to get back,
I wanted to sleep and had to unpack.

Took a quick shower and then went to bed,
I was out by 9:30 with a pillow under head!

1 comment:

  1. What a great poem,
    It made me laugh.

    It was way too long though,
    I could only read half!

    ReplyDelete